Thursday, March 12, 2009

Skiing Hakkoda Ropeway

On the 4th, I got to finally experience the Japan ski scene. While Sarah was at work, I went out with the guys and hit up the Hakkoda Ropeway for some skiing. For more info, this site is pretty good: http://www.boardtheworld.com/Home/Resorts/Japan/Hakkoda?desID=124&cCode=JP

The skiing was pretty awesome. I had some borrowed skis that were designed for Giant Slalom type skiing...and this skiing was a mixture of 6-9 inches of fresh powder in places and solid ice in others. Not to mention that none of it is groomed, so it is a bit bumpy...and steep! This made the skiing very difficult...and it was the first time in 2 years or so that I had hit the slopes. The weather there was absolutely perfect, which apparently is a VERY rare thing. People say that you normally can't see more than 50 feet in front of you, so it gets a little sporty at times. The food at the bottom of the mountain was incredible. I had some pork cutlet curry that definitely hit the spot. I've since ordered new skis, boots, and bindings...so hopefully I will get those in soon and be able to enjoy some spring skiing.




No comments: